17 December 2010

Hello Everyone,

Merry Christmas to each one of you!

My mother and I attended an event called Advent Procession of Lessons and Carols this past Sunday and I was so refreshed to hear again the Christmas story seen through scripture from Genesis to Revelation: the prophecies and fulfillment of Christ first coming to earth in the form of a baby with grace and truth and his anticipated second return to earth in power and victory.  Jesus is coming again!  Come quickly Lord Jesus!

As I look forward to the coming year, I am excited to tell you of an opportunity to work with Peace Corps in Zambia, Africa starting on February 3.  

Over the past year and a half since returning from Rwanda in 2009, I have had time to process my first experience living and working in Africa.  I came away from my trip profoundly touched by the hospitality of the friends I made there, but also struck by the hardships and challenges the people face on a daily basis.  I don’t think I ever really left Africa in my mind when I returned to the U.S.  While living in Portland, I have made Rwandan and Congolese friends and continue to learn about the state of affairs in East Africa from several points of view.  In the back of my mind I thought and prayed about how I might return once again and look for more long term employment with an international development organization. 

From time to time, I heard some friends of mine share about their experiences in Peace Corps.  I was amazed to hear people talk about living in huts in rural areas and actually learning another language well enough to communicate and work with the indigenous people.  Could I actually do something like that?  I was hesitant at first because Peace Corps is not a Christian organization and the work seems very difficult.  Based upon my experience with God over the past year, He has shown me his power to work even in a difficult, secular environment. 

A few months after I returned to the U.S., upon the referral of a friend, I started working at a local public elementary school in the Portland area.  During my time working there, I saw God change my life and the lives of the students around me; I realized God’s Holy Spirit could touch people’s lives even if I was not openly free to talk about Jesus.  I would like to share how God spoke to me through several experiences I had while interacting with students at the school.

In my first assignment, I worked with a first grade student who had behavioral issues.  I quickly realized how powerless I was to keep this kid on task and out of trouble.  There was one memorable incident when he brought up suicide.  I couldn’t believe what I was hearing: could it really be that a four year old student in first grade would talk openly about wanting to die?  At one point in our conversation, I remember telling him that someone loved him more than he could imagine.  His eyes opened as wide as saucers and he asked with eager attention, “WHO?”  In my mind I wanted to say Jesus, but I replied, “me” instead.  I did not feel free at the time to share with him about Jesus, but I figured, with the Holy Spirit in my life, I could honestly tell him, as an intercessor, I loved him on behalf of Christ.  At another time, after hearing him say that God must not care about him very much, I was able to tell him that God loved him more than he realized.  

Friends, I came away from my interaction with this student more convinced than ever that God is seeking to work through available believers by the power of His Holy Spirit to call out through word and mostly action to those who are lost and hopeless, “be reconciled to God.”  I realized in a real and profound way how desperate people are looking for love without realizing they are looking for Jesus who proved it on the cross.  I came away from my time with this student realizing how completely powerless I am in my own strength.  But God was about to show me the power of his presence and strength when I was moved to another classroom to help a student with Cerebral Palsy, who I will call Todd, which is not his real name.  

More to come later...

No comments: